Does anyone besides me have a gas oven, the kind you have to throw a match inside to light?
Well I have one and I’m scared of it. You have to turn on the gas, set the knob to the temperature you want, and throw a match into a tiny hole in the bottom rack. And of course, if you don’t make it in the first time (or second, or third), more and more gas keeps building up, so the flame will be even bigger when you finally do make it in.
Here’s the MusicalChef way of lighting the thing:
- Open the big water bottles and keep them handy so I can throw them at the stove if I need to.
- Put all the valuables in one place so if I do burn the house down, I can grab everything at once and run out. Especially the laptop and the flashdrive that has the backup copies of my Masters thesis. Cause I’m not doing that again!
- Turn on the gas and set the knob.
- Light a match, grasp the end with a pair of tongs, and try to keep a safe distance as I attempt to drop the match in the little hole.
- Repeat above step cause I missed.
- May have to repeat it again.
- Hit the floor when it finally lights!